Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Red

As part of my job, I got a chance to take a walk this afternoon. It was in the mid-60s, breezy, and mostly sunny, although there were high, thin clouds. My assignment was to take pictures of a piece of property, so I figured that the fine mid-February weather afforded me an opportunity that I couldn't pass up. We'd had four inches of snow a week ago, and, while it's nearly all melted now, the soil is still partially frozen a few inches down and the snowmelt has no way to filter into the ground. As a result, the upper few inches of soil are a sodden mess. Nevertheless, I walked across the higher elevations of this property and got this image of a field of broom-sedge (Andropogon virginicus) with a fencerow in the background. It's hard to tell the true color of the grass; this image was made facing almost directly into the gauzy sun, but in other images made facing away from the sun, the grass is tawny.

No comments: