Monday, December 21, 2009

Snowy Splendor

View of my front yard with a (dying) sourwood tree (Oxydendrum arboreum)
in front of two Canada hemlocks (Tsuga candadensis).


Saturday's snowfall on the Mid-Atlantic seaboard set records. In our metropolitan area, the "official" gauge recorded the second-largest snowfall on record (23.2 inches) and the largest December snowfall ever. In our immediate area, we got about 16 inches of the white stuff. The trails in the natural area were too deep to explore without snowshoes or cross-country skis (neither of which I own), so here are a few images taken from an accessible spot around my house as I was shoveling--and shoveling--yesterday.

Snow on the roof of the house

A Japanese maple (Acer palmatum) and picnic table festooned with snow

Snowy filagree

1 comment:

Ray's Cowboy said...

wished we in Texas would get snow. I would love a white Christmas
Ray