Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Snow Totem

Snow Totem

When an old Virginia pine died in the natural area I visit most frequently, management decided to leave the snag standing but to lop off most of the branches to prevent them from falling onto visitors as the tree decomposed. They left the sturdiest parts of the branches as perches for raptors (which, alas, never seem to be used). More than once, the snag has struck me as a kind of natural totem.
I guess I should have brought in my birdhouse in the fall.

We got 16-1/2 inches of snow from the last storm (Friday night, February 5, until about 3 p.m. on Saturday, February 6)...
Garden art

...and now, there's a second storm churning up the Mid-Atlantic coast and poised to strike tonight with 6-12 more inches forecast.
At the end of the first storm

If this second storm delivers, this will be the snowiest winter on record in our area.

No comments: