Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wasp and Sky and Bye (for a while)

Does anyone know what kind of wasp this is? Every few weeks, one of these wasps appears inside my house. They're not very active and I can usually scoop them up on a piece of paper and release them outside. They are very robust and at least an inch long--they intimidate me (and my cats!). Sorry about the image quality; the wasp walked for cover as soon as I set it down outside and wouldn't cooperate for a photo op.
Saturday afternoon's (May 8, 2010) forecast called for thunderstorms, which fortunately never materialized. But, by late afternoon, the wind really kicked up and remained strong all day Sunday, too. Heavy clouds blew in with the wind and scudded across the sky. The heavens weren't completely overcast--there were breaks in the clouds that let light and blue sky through. I liked the effect. My yard and driveway are littered with small branches and twigs broken off the trees; they're too small to pick up by hand but too large to leave in place for the lawnmower to find.
_____
Unless something spectacular happens in my natural world before Friday, this will be my last post until early June. We're off to southern Utah (Capitol Reef National Park and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument) for nine days, then San Diego and environs for another six days starting on Saturday. I hope I return with lots of good images to share.

No comments: