Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Perfect October Sunday Urban Hike


View southeast along Benjamin Franklin Parkway toward Philadelphia's city hall
We've visited most of our typical natural area haunts pretty frequently lately, so I wasn't particularly motivated to go to one of our "usual" places last Sunday to enjoy a perfect October weekend.  Plus, Kali awoke really late, so it was getting a bit too late to drive further afield.  Instead, I suggested to Kali that we drive toward downtown Philadelphia, park about two miles from the center, walk into town to peruse a Pennsylvania Guild of Craftsmen's show, and then walk back to the car.  We completed a four-mile circuit hike, got to enjoy the energy of the city, and spent a perfect autumn day outdoors.  
Kali at the craft show at Rittenhouse Square
After enjoying the craft show, we decided to walk back to the car along the Schuylkill River, which forms the western boundary of central Philadelphia (the Delaware River, of which the Schuylkill is a tributary, forms the central city's eastern boundary).  The city is gradually developing a new riverfront park called Schuylkill Banks; it has become immensely popular with Center City's burgeoning residential community.
Fitler Square Dog Park at Schuylkill Banks
The Cira Center on the west side of the Schuylkill River is the city's newest (and most unusual) skyscraper
Schuylkill Banks park; the Philadelphia Museum of Art is in the left background
The huge (and hugely popular) new skatepark near the Art Museum


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to see a city so alive like this. The blue skies and fall temps really bring out the best of everything.

Mark P said...

Looks like a nice walk, and a nice place to be on a nice, fall day.

Carolyn H said...

Boy, it sure was gorgeous that day. Wasn't quite that nice here--still clearing after the storm on Friday. No wonder people were out and about enjoying the day.

packrat said...

I've only been to Philly once, Scott. Your photos make me want to return. Looks like you had a really pleasant outing. Before I "expanded" the last image I thought that was you skating in the park.

:)

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Different. But there are lots of opportunities to walk in cities which most people are unaware of. (terrible sentence-construction but you know what I mean)

Scott said...

Robin Andrea: There's almost a palpable energy in central Philadelphia--sort of the buzz that you get in New York and other large cities. I love to go downtown. I told Kali that, if I were young, I'd probably really want to live in the heart of things.

I grew up in Cleveland. There was a joke that they rolled up the sidewalks at 5 p.m. in Cleveland since the city center was so dead after business hours. I don't know if that's still the case, but it was pretty accurate when I lived there. Philadelphia's hoppin' until well into the early morning hours.

Scott said...

Mark: The residents and tourists were out in force last Sunday, and can you blame them with such a perfect day to enjoy?

Scott said...

Carolyn: When I read your post about your overcast weekend, and as I prepared my post about our visit to the city, I thought to myself, "What a shame that Carolyn wasn't here to enjoy this great weather."

Scott said...

Packrat: One of my employees, 20 years younger than I but still old enough to know better, sustained a very serious and complex leg and ankle break at a local skatepark last year. I think that "cured" him of his hobby. So, there's not much chance that you'll see my anywhere at the skatepark other than on the sidelines taking pictures.

Scott said...

John: I love to park on the outskirts of the city (free parking a plus!) and then walk in unless I'm going to be carrying a lot of heavy purchases. You're absolutely right about the hidden opportunities of which many people are not aware. When we first moved to this area 25 years ago, I got Kali to take the elevated train into the city with me on an "urban adventure." (Of course, many people use the "El" for their daily commute, but for us, it was an adventure. (Maybe it is for the commuters, too...hmmm...) We've gotten much bolder since then, though, as we've gotten to know the territory.

RB said...

This what I like. Much prefer urban hike than in he wilderness. Just my preference.

Scott said...

RB: I like a variety of hikes, including hikes in the real wilderness. It's nice to have the option to hike in different kinds of scenery.