Monday, May 4, 2009

High Spring

Saturday (May 2), I took an early morning walk in the local natural area preserve that I haunt. It was drizzly and foggy, which saturated the vegetation with lush color. I was particularly struck by the flowering dogwoods (Cornus florida) in full bloom, especially those set against several non-native but beautiful European copper beeches (Fagus sylvatica). It's the height of spring here now.
Tomorrow's my birthday. To mark the occasion, my wife and I went to a Houlihan's for dinner last evening. I had jambalaya (which was supposed to have sausage, but which, alas, had none) and my wife had a serloin steak, which was a bit overdone. We went to Houlihan's because the restaurant gives me a free entre on my birthday, but it wasn't worth it. We eat better at home. The only thing good about it was that I didn't have to clean up afterward.

No comments: