Thursday, February 25, 2016

There's Got to be a Morning After


Here in the northern Piedmont, we had a tremendous storm last night - part of the same system that ravaged the Deep South and East Coast.  Though we were spared a tornado, we had incredible winds that toppled and snapped full-grown trees.  The storm was accompanied by thunder, lightning and torrential rain. 
This morning, when I went out to open the gate of my preserve at sunrise, orange light bathed the tops of the trees in a deep, rich glow  - like they had been dipped in luminous honey.  Then clouds moved back in and ended the show.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful light on those trees, a lovely respite after such a storm. (Nice to see you back posting here!)

Scott said...

Thank you, Robin Andrea. When I went out to open the gate this morning (Friday), the light was much the same but a little less intense than yesterday's. I'm glad I was able to capture a bit of the gestalt when I could.

I haven't been posting much because (1) I think that I get SADD in the winter and just don't have much motivation and (2) I haven't done much that's post-worthy. Let's see if this seasonal "thing" resolves itself.

Actually, I was tempted to take a picture and post this afternoon again. When I came back to work after lunch today, I noticed that there was some dampness outside the public restroom entrance in our visitor center. When I opened the door, I stepped into two inches of water--the women's toilet had plugged and the flushing mechanism had stuck open, so there was water pouring out of the bowl, onto the floor, and surging down the hallway. Yikes! I donned my L.L. Bean boots, grabbed a push broom and a mop, and proceeded to clean up the mess--a 1-1/2 hour job! All in a day's work... At least the grubby floor's a little cleaner now!

Mark P said...

One of the rewards of getting up early is those wonderful red sunrises.

And what a wonderful way to spend an afternoon.

Scott said...

Mark: My board's past-president came by to drop something off at the office while I was cleaning up the mess and gave me a hard time for not having my staff clean up the flood. But, it was relatively late in the afternoon and most of my staff had already left for the day. I really didn't have much of an option.